Saturday, August 12, 2006

regrets, I've had a few




and here's one:

The other day I was walking across the movie lot to the building I work in. While I won't mention the movie by name, production is currently underway for the next installment of a hugely popular franchise, so there were lots of trailers and tents and extras and all of that.

And as I walked, taking my time, not rushing to my desk, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a guy wearing a head set coming toward me. I kind of glanced at him and as he approached he shouted something to me.

"What?" I said.

"Are my hand double that I'm looking for?"

It was decision time - make something up and see what happens, or tell the truth and go about my life. Do I tell this guy, who's clearly frantic and needs someone right now, that I am indeed his hand model double and let him whisk me away to the soundstage where I'll be able to munch off the craft service table in between set ups where my hands will be gloriously lit holding goblets and small pieces of gold? Or do I tell him I'm not who he thinks I am and then go about the business of my day as if nothing happened.

"No, no," I said, shaking my head.

And I regret saying that. Only because I would have had a better story if I had said yes.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Editor said...

I think you'd make a fine hand model. Although, I think you'd really shine at modeling eyewear.

Just a thought...

7:39 AM  
Blogger Joe Powell said...

Dude, I so need to come out there and follow you around the lot.

Played the right way, you could have had a trailer, some lobster and prime rib, a sauna and massage and still stormed out enraged and quit before they knew diddly.

Just sayin - that simple question could be parlayed into a directing deal within a few days, tops.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Kelvis said...

I really wish you had held your hands up to your face in a sort of Dough Henning "It''s an illuuuuuuusion" sort of gesture and said "what do you think?"

Upon seeing your paws, he surely would have scooped you up and sent you on your way to a brand new career.

(was the Doug Henning reference too obscure?)

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back at the office